Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet is a new initiative by the government to help low-income American families access the internet. Emergency Broadband Benefit will give a value of up to 50 dollars each month on the broadband internet assistance and a maximum of 75 dollars per month on stand-alone mobile phone service for qualified households.
In addition, the EBB will provide a one-time discount of a maximum of 100 dollars on a laptop, desktop, computer, or notepad purchased through an approved provider. As part of the Emergency Broadband Benefit, eligible households will also receive free or discounted Wi-Fi service from participating providers.
To be eligible for Emergency Broadband Benefit, households must have earnings that are at or underneath 135 percent of the FPG or participate in specific stipend protocols such as Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, and others. In the following content, I’ll cover how to get Emergency Broadband Benefit or EBB tablet and other relevant facts. So, let’s dive in!
- What is Emergency Broadband Benefit or EBB?
- How To Get Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet
- Alternative Ways To Apply For Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet
- Qualifying Requirements For Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet
- How To Get Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet Under Business
- How To Get Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet As A Student
- What Are The Coverage Areas Of Emergency Broadband Benefit?
- Which Tablets are Offered In Emergency Broadband Benefit Program
- FAQ About Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet
- How do I get an emergency broadband benefit free tablet?
- How much data do I get with the emergency broadband benefit?
- How long does the emergency broadband benefit last?
- How do I apply for the emergency broadband benefit program?
- Who is eligible for the emergency broadband benefit program?
- How much does the emergency broadband benefit cost?
- When did emergency broadband benefits start?
- Do I need to have an existing broadband service to get the emergency broadband benefit?
What is Emergency Broadband Benefit or EBB?
The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) is an FCC protocol to assist low-income families in affording broadband internet connection in the COVID-19 emergency. Households with incomes at or under 135 percent of the Federal Poverty Level are eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit.
This means a single person with an income of 17,609 dollars or less per year, or a family of four with an income of 36,156 dollars or less per year, may qualify. To participate In the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program, visit EBB’s official site. You will be required to submit your name, address, DoB, and last four digits of your Social Security number.
You will also need to prove your eligibility by providing documentation such as a tax return, pay stub, or Medicaid card. If you permit the Emergency Broadband Benefit, you will receive a deduction of up to 50 dollars per month on your broadband line.
You can further get a one-time deal of up to 100 dollars cut off for a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet purchased through your internet service provider. The Discount is only available for the approved ones who are qualified for Lifeline or EBB. For additional info on the Emergency Broadband Benefit, visit their sites.
How To Get Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet
As part of the coronavirus pandemic relief effort, the Federal Communications Commission provides a temporary $50 per month subsidy for broadband service to low-income households. The program, known as the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB), is available to households that qualify for programs like Medicaid or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
Households can also qualify if they have lost their job due to the pandemic or if they have experienced a significant decrease in income. The benefit can be used to purchase broadband service from any participating provider, and it can also be used to purchase a discount tablet from a participating provider. If you are eligible for the EBB, you can get a free tablet with data from the government.
There are several prerequisites that need to be met before applying for an EBB tablet. First, you must be a resident of the United States or have a green card. Second, you are required to be at least 18 years old. Finally, you must have a legal email address.
If you meet all of these requirements, you can begin the application process by visiting the EBB website and creating an account. To get the benefit, you will need to:
- Just go to the official website of EBB and fill out the required information.
- Apply for the service online at www.getemergencybroadband.org.
- Once you have opened an account, you will be eligible to enter the online application.
- The application will inquire for basic data about yourself, as well as your contact information.
- You will also be asked to provide a short essay explaining why you should receive an EBB tablet.
- Once you fulfill and submit your application, it will be evaluated by a committee.
- Then you have to select your provider and plan which you prefer based on your area.
- Once you have submitted the form, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to complete the process.
- If you are permitted, you will be informed via email and will be able to pick up your tablet at a designated location.
- Now you can finally receive a free tablet with data from your provider.
- The main aim of EBB is to provide free education to those people who are living in remote areas and do not get the chance to manage broadband or internet services. You can also get the Emergency Broadband Benefit by calling 1-800-819-1918.
Alternative Ways To Apply For Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet
Above, we have discussed the way of applying for EBB through their official site. Except for the method mentioned above, there are other ways by which you can apply for an EBB free tablet. Basically, you can apply for an EBB tablet through a broadband service provider or via mailing the EBB authority.
I). Apply with a broadband provider
More than hundreds of providers offer Lifeline and EBB assistance in almost all the states in the USA. You can find suitable providers that offer EBB services in your area based on your state through the FCC portal. After choosing the preferred provider for your EBB tablet, you must contact them directly for their distinct application method.
If you are using the cellular services of a telecommunication carrier that offers both basic and government benefits, then you can access things more easily. Some of the renowned cellular providers that offer EBB benefits are- T-Mobile, Boost Mobile, Q Link Wireless, Metro by T-Mobile, StandUp Wireless, AT&T Mobility, Cintex Wireless, and Mint Mobile.
II). Apply through mail-in.
If you find it difficult or hassling to apply for the Emergency broadband Benefit tablet from their online portal, you can use the mail-in method as an alternative. Since EBB is not receiving any new applications, you can apply for similar benefits through the ACP program. You can find the ACP application form here.
Fill out the ACP application form appropriately with all the required data. Then, send the application form to the ACP or Emergency Broadband Benefit Support center via mail-in. The mailing address of EBB is- Emergency Broadband Support Center, P.O. Box 7081, London, KY 40742.
Qualifying Requirements For Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet
Getting approved for a free tablet from EBB requires participation in federal programs. Besides, you can get eligible for the free program with your annual household income status. Let’s discuss the qualifying prerequisites of the EBB free tablet program!
Federal Programs: You can apply for the EBB aid program either by your annual income or by participating in FCC programs. Here are the Federally approved programs, which you can use as proof to qualify for the EBB program free tablet.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP)
- Medicaid or Federal Medical Assistance Scheme
- Supplemental Security Income or SSI
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children
- TANF or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Free Programs of the School Lunch Scheme
- Section eight or known as Federal Public Housing Assistance Project
- If you receive the Federal Pell Grant Award in the running award season
Annual Household Earning: If you cannot show any programs to qualify for the EBB program, there are alternative options regarding your annual income status. Your yearly earnings need to be at or underneath 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Here is a table representing the income requirements to get eligible for the free EBB tablet program.
|Person Per Household||135% of Federal Poverty Guideline|
|01||0 to 18346 dollars|
|02||0 to 24718 dollars|
|03||0 to 31090 dollars|
|04||0 to 37462 dollars|
|05||0 to 43834 dollars|
|06||0 to 52207 dollars|
|07||0 to 56578 dollars|
|08||0 to 62950 dollars|
If there are more than eight 8 people in your household, you need to add 9,080 dollars for each additional person. For instance, if you have a household of 9 people, the Yearly Income allowed is almost 0 to 69,322 dollars (62,950 dollars + 6,372 dollars) for the EBB free tablet program.
Provider’s Qualification Criteria: Several providers are offering benefits under the Federal government EBB program. Except for the aforementioned eligibility criteria, you may need to undergo some distinct criteria for eligibility depending on the provider you choose for this assistance. Yet, most of the emergency broadband benefit free tablet providers furnish almost identical prerequisites.
Pell Grant Award Winners: As a student, you can get a free tablet EBB if you have received the Pell Grant award in the recent academic year. Pell grant is a government fund that is provided for the students to pay the costs of academics like college or tuition fees. If you are an eligible Pell grant winner, you can easily get qualified for the Emergency broadband Benefit tablet.
How To Get Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet Under Business
One great news about the Emergency Broadband Benefit or EBB Free Tablet program is that you can now apply for the benefits even if you are an owner of a business.
However, the requirements and the application procedures of the business EBB tablet or benefit is distinct from the individuals or households.
To qualify for the EBB program, your business must:
- Your business needs to be located in an eligible rural area
- Then; you have to demonstrate financial need legally
- Afterward, you need to create or retain jobs in the local economy
- You need to be a for-profit entity as a business holder
- Your business must meet size standards (generally, 500 employees or less)
If you meet these initial qualifications, you will then need to submit a business plan and other required documentation to your local SBA district office. Once your request is accepted, it will be scrutinized by program staff. You will be forwarded to the state rural development office for final review and approval if you get approved.
If you are approved for the program, you will be notified in writing and will be required to sign a participation agreement. You will then have access to the loan funds. Then, you can also apply for a free tablet or the 50 to 75 dollars broadband bonus in this criteria.
How To Get Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet As A Student
The Emergency Broadband Benefit program was initially launched with the motto of providing affordable wireless access to those who can’t afford it because of impoverished income status. However, as a student, you can also claim the EBB benefits from the government.
The EBB benefit for students basically includes up to 100 dollars discount in purchasing a laptop or tablet for academic purposes. Similar to the individuals or households, EBB student benefit also has some eligibility requirements. A student must pass these eligibility criteria to get EBB assistance.
- You need to be a U.S. inhabitant or national or be legally current in the United States.
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited technical school, trade school, or community college working towards a degree or certification in a skilled qualifying trade.
- You have completed at least one semester or have been accepted into a qualified apprenticeship program.
- A student must meet the definition of low-income according to your state’s guidelines.
- You need to be able to demonstrate an economic shortage for the scholarship.
- Applicant students must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- You must stay in good standing with your school and not be subject to any disciplinary action.
- Not have been convicted of a felony or any violation, including ethical turpitude.
What Are The Coverage Areas Of Emergency Broadband Benefit?
Basically, Emergency Broadband Benefit assistance is provided in almost all 50 states of the USA. The EBB provider comes with dedicated state-based coverage and ACP/EBB benefits along with free tablets.
Choose any provider of your preferences that is functioning EBB assistance in your state. Here is a list of providers according to all the states of the USA that provide the EBB program.
Which Tablets are Offered In Emergency Broadband Benefit Program
Broadly, the EBB program doesn’t offer any free tablets under the government. EBB basically offers discounts for connecting broadband services at a cheaper rate. After getting approved, you can get a 50 to 75 dollars discount per month to pay your wireless or broadband bills.
On the other hand, EBB also provides up to 100 dollars discount on purchasing any electronic devices like computers, laptops, or tablets. Thus, you can pick any qualified tablet from any manufacturer and get a 100 dollars discount. But before you go for any tablets, make sure you’re eligible for the EBBP benefits.
FAQ About Emergency Broadband Benefit Free Tablet
How do I get an emergency broadband benefit free tablet?
You may be eligible for an emergency broadband benefit free tablet if you are a low-income household or participate in specific government assistance programs. To apply, visit the FCC’s website or contact your administration’s municipal utility committee.
How much data do I get with the emergency broadband benefit?
The emergency broadband benefit provides up to 25 GB of data per month for eligible households. Moreover, users can get up to 50 dollars discount on their wireless or broadband bills per month.
How long does the emergency broadband benefit last?
The emergency broadband benefit lasts until December 31, 2021. After that, the program will be evaluated and may be extended or discontinued.
How do I apply for the emergency broadband benefit program?
To apply for the emergency broadband benefit, visit the FCC’s website or contact your state’s public utility commission. You will need to provide proof of eligibility, such as a recent income statement or participation in certain government assistance programs.
Who is eligible for the emergency broadband benefit program?
Low-income households and households that participate in specific national relief programs are eligible for the emergency broadband benefit. To see if you qualify, visit the FCC’s website or contact your state’s public utility commission.
How much does the emergency broadband benefit cost?
The emergency broadband benefit provides a value of up to 50 dollars each month on monthly broadband internet service for qualified homes.
When did emergency broadband benefits start?
The emergency broadband benefit program started on May 12, 2021.
Do I need to have an existing broadband service to get the emergency broadband benefit?
No, you do not need to have an existing broadband service to get the emergency broadband benefit.
Getting a free tablet from the emergency broadband benefit is a straightforward task if you step forward with the required info. With the emergency broadband benefit free tablet program, you can get broadband services at a discounted rate. Thus, you can avail up to 100 dollars discount to purchase any eligible tablet.